Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 28, 2002

It is my third day of classes at Texas A&M Corpus Christi, however it is only the first day of classes for TCU and I am kind of jealous that they had an extra two days of summer. I only have two classes today and the first one is at 11:00. I don't like commuting to school, I know I kind of did it in high school but it was different, nonetheless I have to leave my parent's house about 10:15 so I can get there on time. I never know what traffic will be like especially with the construction on the causeway. Today it is not too bad even though they have traffic down to one lane.

I park fairly close to the building I have both of my classes in and I buy a diet Pepsi before class to keep me awake. I did not get off of work until about 10:30 last night at the Pizzeria and read afterwards so I'm still tired today. I've been drinking more diet drinks recently and find that less sugar helps keep me more hydrated and alert. I walk into US History and sit next to Matt Humpal, one of my friends from high school. I see a lot of kids from high school up here, but it's way different. We are talking about reconstruction in history and the professor seems to have quite a liberal bias on things and Matt gets mad a few times throughout class. He has told me he is very conservative and doesn't like how the professor keeps bashing conservative ideas. After that class is over I walk all of forty yards to Texas History. This is a smaller classroom because it is an upper level class and rather than 100 students like US History, we only have about 30. So far the class is ok, but we have to take a lot of notes, even on the first day of class we did and today is no different. I sit by myself, takes notes and when class is over I begin to contemplate. This isn't the same as TCU. I don't live on campus, I don't know about any things going on, I don't have friends hanging around on campus. So I just head home not knowing what to do next.

I eat a quick lunch and watch some sportscenter. No one is home and Cory won't be home until about 4 and mom and dad until after 5. I get online and go to the TCU website. I seriously think I made a huge mistake in transferring. I mean money was an issue and I thought I would have a better time here, but what was I thinking? I go to admissions and find that there is a counselor at TCU that deals specifically with former TCU students re-enrolling. I think this is perfect so I send her an email and explain my situation. Just thinking about going back to TCU next semester gets me excited. What doesn't get me excited is telling mom and dad that after less than a week here I'm ready to go back to TCU. Oh well, I will think of a way, and besides nothing is official yet. All I have done is sent an email to an admissions counselor.

I take a quick nap before getting changed and going to work. I am delivering tonight and it's Wednesday so it will probably be slow. It turns out it is slow and I only make $24 in tips before cashing out, washing dishes and heading home. I look over some accounting homework before class tomorrow and then head to sleep, thinking how if I was at TCU I might be hanging in the dorms with people and not going to sleep in the room above my parents.

1 comment:

  1. We were all so bumed out when you decided to leave TCU. Seriously. We're all glad that you and your CRV made it back to FT. Worth :-)

    ReplyDelete